Tuesday, May 02, 2006

pilgrimage

Studying the book of Genesis in the Bible right now...starting to wrap it up actually. Last night I went over the death of Jacob and his blessing of Joseph's sons, Ephraim and Manasseh. Before that it talked about the meeting between Pharaoh and Jacob. When Pharaoh asked Jacob how old he was, he said, "The years of my pilgrimage are a hundred and thirty. My years have been few and difficult, and they do not equal the years of the pilgrimage of my fathers." (Gen. 47:9)
Pilgrimage. Another word for life. Just a thought...

This life is a pilgrimage...a pilgrimage to our home. You see, I am not a citizen of this world any longer, ever since I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. I am now a citizen of heaven. A son of the King. ("But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ"...Phillipians 3:20)

What is the purpose of my pilgrimage? To be more like Christ. And how is this for encouragement in that process?:
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

I need that encouragement often...because I feel that I fail often. I am not saying I walk around moping that I fail...Jesus came to give me life, abundant life (John 10:10)...not a desolate, always grieving, always in despair life. His grace is sufficient...it's a hard thing to wrap my mind around sometimes and, yet, so easy a concept.

Random thoughts...started by one word. Pilgrimage. How can I make my pilgrimage more meaningful for my boys? What spiritual legacy will I leave them? I pray that it is a process that benefits them and helps them on their pilgrimage.

No comments: